My project this week has been my take on the Red Queen. It’s spun off from an ACEO series of Wonderland that I started first. I drew Alice with her cat, Dinah and the White Rabbit in the background for the first card I did and then I started on my Red Queen. My plans are to finish this one and then go on to do the White Queen and the Mad Hatter. As soon as I drew her out however, I realized that I really wanted to do something different with her and also make her larger.I’ve always had a soft spot for this lady for some reason.
It’s not ideal to start with a change in your ideas and then go back to your original train of thought.(Why do I do that so often?)
When I first drew out my queen for the ACEO she had big hair. For this painting I traded her big hair in for a hair covering instead.
And then applied heavy white paint in order to block out the red background.
And then wanted her to have hair similar to the card image I had done first of all. (Ugh)
I definitely like her hair now better than I liked the head covering but there’s a white outline that keeps poking through so I’ll have to keep fiddling with that to get it right. (My husband mentioned the hair needs more dimension anyway so I do think with a little gesso and more paint it should be okay….(I hope!)
There’s a lot more work that I want to do with the way the hair falls in front and with the background still but here’s my Red Queen so far.
Happy Paint Party Friday!
(*Follow the link for a peek at other artist making some great art.)